Standard Case Directions: draft Practice Note
We are consulting on Standard Case Directions – draft Practice Note, aimed at assisting the timely progression and disposal of fitness to practise cases referred for a hearing.
Documents to download:
- Standard Case Directions – draft practice note
- Standard Case Directions consultation document and Word response form
- Online response form
- Diversity questionnaire
Background to consultation
Standard Case Directions provide instructions to the parties (the GOsC and the osteopath under investigation) on how they are to prepare their case for a final hearing before the Professional Conduct Committee (PCC). Standard Case Directions will apply to all cases that have been referred by the IC for a hearing before the PCC.
As the Osteopaths Act and the associated rules date back some time, they do not accord with the approach to case directions and management of a case that is found in more modern healthcare regulatory legislation, as there is limited provision for the advanced and timely disclosure of documents and evidence.
There are several purposes behind the introduction of Standard Case Directions:
- They will encourage the osteopath under investigation to engage with the regulatory process and liaise with the GOsC Regulation team to ensure the necessary evidence is identified, prepared and disclosed in advance of the final hearing.
- They will assist in the timely listing of the case, ensuring that appropriate time is allocated for dealing with the case, which should reduce the likelihood of hearings being adjourned or going part heard.
- They will also place a duty on both the GOsC and the osteopath to assist the PCC in managing cases justly and expeditiously in the public interest.
The draft Standard Case Directions will therefore assist in enhancing the overall transparency of our fitness to practise process in the timely progression and disposal of cases referred for a hearing.
For further information please read the consultation document and Word response form.
How to respond
NEW! By telephone
|Complete and send us the online response form||Send us your completed Word consultation response form by email to: email@example.com||Send us your completed Word consultation response form by post to:
Standard Case Directions – draft Practice Note
General Osteopathic Council
176 Tower Bridge Road, London SE1 3LU
|Alternatively, you can now leave us verbal feedback and record your responses on our automated telephone system on 020 7509 0705|
Copies of the Standard Case Directions – draft Practice Note and the consultation response form are also available in other formats on request by emailing the GOsC: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 020 7357 6655 x224.
The deadline for responses to this consultation is 15 October 2018.
We are asking specific questions that we would like responses to, but you are welcome to offer any other comments you wish. All feedback will be taken into consideration.
We would also like to ask you some questions about you. Completing the diversity questionnaire is optional, but we would welcome information about our respondents. The information you provide will only be used for the purposes of analysing the consultation responses.